2011年5月15日 星期日

Learning from the Earthquake Survivors in Sichuan, China!


Ms. Liang, an earthquake survivor and a trainee  
in Eden's 512 Hope Sheltered Workshop, 
folded an origami crane to commemorate the
Sichuan Earthquake on 12 May 2008. 

12 May 2011 marked the third anniversary of Sichuan Earthquake in China. On this day, Eden’s staffs in 512 Hope Sheltered Workshop in Sichuan organized a memorial activity together with Hong Kong Red Cross for earthquake survivors.

The activity started with three minutes of silent prayer for families and friends who lost their lives. We then shared our memories of the devastating disaster, the challenges for today, and our vision for the future. After sharing, trainees made origami cranes and stars and wrote their wishes on them. Heart-shaped circles of origami cranes and stars were formed later on, signifying that our hope for the future remains.  
 
Ms Liang, one of the trainees in the 512 Hope Sheltered Workshop said: “My job today is to live my life well everyday!” As a matter of fact, most of the earthquake survivors are thankful and cherish their blessings after surviving the disaster. Although Eden is playing a role of helper, nevertheless our staffs are inspired by the earthquake survivors’ strength and their view on life. Another trainee said: “I used to play mahjong when I had time. However, now I spend my time with my children and family. Not only I work in Eden’s Sheltered Workshop, I am now also learning embroidery. My life today is busy but fulfilled!”

Disasters can’t be predicted, but we can make every moment of our life meaningful. Earthquake survivors in Sichuan, indeed, have taught us a lot about life.

沒有留言: