2009年10月22日 星期四

Unforgettable days-Yeun-Soo Kim (korea)


My 2009 summer was fantastic thanks to special experience I went through. Every single day was like a magical fairytale for me. I did not expect being a part of volunteer in Eden could make my life much richer and more colorful. I still remember the question which Joseph (one of the volunteers who led the morning devotion) left for us to think over and reflect ourselves, that was “which color can represent last year of you?” As we were all taking turns to answer the question, mine was “white” which refers to meaningless with no color. Looking back my past days of last year, everything I had faced upon were all ups and downs and revolving discouraging thoughts and minds. Without figuring out the reason why-now I suppose probably because of the same old routine of my years of Beijing life- I always had felt I had no faith as if my lifetime dream seemed to slip farther away from reality. Therefore I have always needed a quick-fix or a boost for myself. In other words, I desperately wanted some energy to restart and be freshened up in order to prevent the further defeat of discouragement.

To say the truth, the reason I wanted to apply for this program is merely to add more words in my previous career section as to get extra remark when I get to write a resume for future career. Normally when it comes to serving a voluntary work, a person has to bring up his own will and devotion from the bottom of heart to take part in. For me, applying and deciding to do volunteer service was simply a compulsory choice which will give me advantages. I had arrived Taiwan blindly. From the day I got in Taipei, I just thought about to pass the time hoping time will fly. With the behind story of mine, my 09’ summer began to contribute the greatest surprise with no other expectation which turns out to actually gave me the most unforgettable memories.



If someone asks me what is the most grateful thing during the five weeks of program? Then I will answer both having an opportunity to get to know the people through Eden and lessons I have learnt from it.

Speaking of the day when each one of volunteers met for the very first time. We were just all strangers to each others. I had not even imagined how close we would get. As the time went by, we slowly opened our heart and got to know each other. I have always believed that people who volunteer to help others are decent with warm heart and it opened out a proof before my eyes from the moment I started working. Since we were belonging to small community which so-called teamwork has to be applied, we had positive influence on everyone and also helped each other to persist in following the inexperienced living pattern and corresponding actions, especially when we were organizing various classes for kids. By helping each other out, we had come to gain inspiration from people and also we were spurred on by what others do to obtain the energy that knows no limit. Also when it comes to working in the field, we functioned ourselves as stimulation for each other. Therefore we came to know how to freshen up ourselves with positive attitude which surely led us to the finest condition even if we were all exhausted and went through hardships. The lessons I have got from getting along with them are one of most necessary elements when people get to enter a society where everything is about working with “people.” It really did double the effectiveness-the relationship and work efficiency. We became like a whole family. Now I am thinking that the more we got close to each other, the more the atmosphere of field had gained in intimacy. This led us to be more active in the field as well as the children were into every single class we took.

In addition, looking at those kids who live in inferior surroundings, I have learnt how to appreciate things around me. The churches we went to serve volunteer services were located in rural district; therefore most of children who came to take classes were not raised abundantly. They were so pure and naïve, they were impressed by the trivial around of daily life, they were wearing big smiles on their faces all the time. Their happy faces were beautiful enough to make me forget all the unnecessary anxiety derived from exhausting life cycle. Seeing them and getting along with little angles made all of us feel as if we were kids again back in the days. I came to realize how happy I am and how content my life is. I gradually got to be thankful to every little petty thing and came to know helping others brings overflowing joy to myself and others as well.

People cannot live alone. Life is all about people. Our life glorifies by helping each other out. Therefore it is absolutely true that we have to share love as much as we can. The most important thing I have learnt is that volunteer service is not one-sided activity which merely giving a hand of you, it had to be done by both sides with an idea of sharing and gathering. Also volunteer service only works when the respect and love take place. Serving without those two elements is playing the hypocrite. Although people just participate the volunteer service without wanting something such as getting paid, we have to realize that we rather pay the price called “love” as volunteer. Because serving the volunteer work comes about to putting ourselves in other people’s shoe therefore for us, it is required to acquire modesty, tolerance, understanding and communication. Not to say that we come to pursue healthy personality spirit by possessing positive mind, getting taught from people who need a hand and broadening our mind. Through this five-week of program I just want to roughly define the volunteer work based on my understanding and lessons. The genuine value of this work has to be planned deliberately; it cannot be happened by accident. It needs a solemn promise beforehand. I have no doubt that this kind of opportunity has brought me not just a lifetime experience but also a chance for me to grow into a better me. Plus I believe this would boost me with a great power and inspiration whatever I do in the future. I sincerely hope this experience that many kids and visual impairments shared could remain in their heart forever and ever.

Anyone can do a volunteer service but it is not a thing that everyone can do. Only who practices what he/her had advocated can do the work. And I want to tell people who have not yet experienced that “all you guys have to do is just open your heart and put it in your practice, and then you would see the whole different world in your life.”

沒有留言: