2009年4月23日 星期四

4/23/2009 Accessible Tourism Video and I am the voice


Hello hello!!!
Let me tell you about an interesting and nerve wrecking experience that I had this week. So I am working on the assignments that the office gives me to do here at Eden, and it turns out that I was going to be recorded for an instructional video for the Accessible Tourism Department.
I found out about it last week but when I was told I just thought it was going to be a dubbed voice for a Taiwanese speaker and so that would result in a few lines. However, arriving to the office on Tuesday it turns out I was to read 2 pages of listed sentences for the whole movie. I was feeling a bit nervous after that because yes I can speak English fluently but you know, it is just a small bit nerve wrecking when you realize that many people will be watching this video and I was not sure if my voice is nice enough to be put on a video.

So I get these two pages of print outs with Mandarin and its English translation. I was asked to make corrections but I was not sure what type of corrections were going to be needed. I thought at first that the Mandarin and English were separated to help me know where one sentence starts and another begins, so that originally it was like one big paragraph. So I made corrections as if the sentence were to form a big paragraph. But it turns out that, that was not the case I was going to read each sentence separately. So some of the corrections that I made were not needed, I felt a bit embarrassed after that and hope I did not offend the person who wrote it out in the first place.
Then 3 of us (myself included) went into a small room and did the recording. It was interesting because I had Catherine to translate for me but I did make a lot of mistakes anyway. Such as not starting at the right time, my voice cracking up, and sometimes there were noises when we had to record in silence. We had a few laughs over some of the incidences so it was not bad or anything. It was really cool and I tried to my best to make this video up to the expectations that were needed.
But before I go on, let me fill you in, a little bit about the Accessible Tourism if you don't already know about it.
So I will start off by saying that accessible travel, is pretty much a set itinerary for physically disabled people. Unfortunately, most places of attraction do not necessarily target to the physically disabled or attraction areas do not even have the area built so that people with physical disabilities can't get around alone very easily. So that makes it very hard for those with disabilities to go on vacation, and many of them don't even bother taking vacations because of those reasons. So what this department does, is take all of that into consideration and has created a plan to make traveling something all people can do no matter if they are physically disabled or not.

In addition to that, they have created instructional videos to show to places around the world who for the most part are mainly vacation destination areas, who might be interested in making their place of business/attraction more accessible. The process of Accessible tourism is spreading so much that there are even International Conferences being held to inform the world. This year the International Conference on Accessible tourism is being held in Singapore from April 22-24th. It is believed that business ventures that incorporate accessible tourism will benefit from travel, tourism, and will enhance the lives of many people in the host country.
To find out more please visit:
www.ICAT2009.com.sg or http://www.wretch.cc/blog/barrierfree
I find that this will enhance the lives of many people as well, accessible tourism is opening many doors for people to enjoy the world as well and take in the beauty that it has to offer. Being the English voice for an accessible tourism video is an honor but I have got say that hearing my voice being recorded is a bit strange. I would have never thought in my life that I would be the voice for a video. Although, they probably could have picked someone with a better voice, I am glad that I was able to experience this. Who knows if people who watch the video listen to my voice it could be a potential for me to go professional! LOL Just a joke (^_*)b
Well I would like to say Thank you to all who were involved in the process and it will be an experience that I definitely will remember.
Cheers!!
Jasmin Nunez

沒有留言: